Source: History of Wetzel County, West Virginia 1983


"The end of an era comes to the store building at Bebee which was built by Charles Rogers in 1894. Mr. Rogers operated a store there until 1896, when he sold the store and building to Lewis and Emma Fiess. The Post Office was established in 1898 with Lewis Fiess as Postmaster. Several names for the new office had been sent to the post office department but the name Bebee was chosen in honor of B. B. Newman, who had been active in seeking the establishment of a post office there. The cage containing the mail boxes in the office was built by Francis Arman. Due to ill health, Mr. Fiess sold the store to Roy Berger in 1902 and he served as postmaster until 1904, when he sold the store back to Mrs. Fiess and she was the postmistress until 1912. At that time, she sold the store to Frank Houdenshilt, who was postmaster until his death in 1918. At that time the post office was discontinued until May 1919, when Thomas and Ora Mason purchased the store. Thomas was then appointed postmaster and served until 1956, when he retired with 37 years service. Ora Mason was then appointed postmistress and retired in 1966 with ten years service. On 12 October, 1966 Neva Umberger was appointed postmistress and she moved the post office into her home. She served until 7 April 1967, when the postal service was discontinued to Bebee. Thereafter, people had their mail addressed Doolin Route, New Martinsville. Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Mason still operated the store."

Copied from story written for the local newspaper by Milo Cooper in 1967 as printed in TCR Linda Goddard Stout

return to the Communities of Wetzel County Index