In the fall of 1861 steps were taken to organize the 11th regi- ment Virginia Infantry Volunteers, and the greater portion of this regiment was organized in the valley of the Little Kanawha. Col. J.C. Rathbone, now of Parkersburg, West Virginia, was its first colonel, and through his efforts it was finally organized as a regiment. Company A was formed from Capt. John C. Boggs, company of "snake hunters," a name given them by their cap- tain. Their company which had been organized in Marshall county, Virginia, as an independent scouting company, had been sent into the Little Kanawha valley in the early fall of 1861, and by process of consolidation it was annexed to the 11th regiment, and became Company A, as above stated. Capt. Boggs was a fearless soldier and served his chosen country in an able manner and rendered it efficient aid, especially in the way of making peace for the then distracted and divided people. He resigned his office near the close of the war and returned to Ohio county, West Vir- ginia, and engaged in other pursuits, and for several years there- after was an active and earnest worker in the cause of temper- ance. It is now said that be has gone to his reward; peace to his ashes. At the time of the organization of this regiment peo- ple were excited and divided, almost paralyzed, and family angered against family. And there appeared to be no safety or security except in the army of one side or the other; men hesitated con- cerning enlistment in either army, and it is indeed wonderful looking back on the struggle at this late day how so many brave sons of toil could be induced to leave home and friends and everything near and dear to them and rush into the carnage of blood; but enlistments into both armies were certainly and grad- ually being made, for in the months of October and November, 1861, Company B of this regiment was organized at Burning Springs, Wirt county by Capt. James W. Myres, a former citizen of the county. About the same time Company C was organized in Calhoun and Gilmer counties by Capt. James T. Simpson. Early in 1862 Capt. David Deem organized Company E in Wirt county, Capt. Van H. Burkey;. it contained many of Wirt's brave men also. In the spring of 1862 Capt. William T. Pell organized Company F in Wirt county; Company G was organized in the Great Kanawha valley; Company H in Marshall county, and Company I and K in Jackson county, all of this State. The head- quarters of regiment during the winter of 1861-2, and spring, summer and fall, was Spencer, Roane county, (then) Virginia. In the month of September, 1862, part of Companies B, E, F and D, while in camp, were surprised and compelled to surrender their arms to Gen. Jenkins of the Confederate army. The men and officers were allowed to go upon parole, and were shortly after- wards exchanged, and very soon after being exchanged the regi- ment was reorganized and sent to the front and at once put into active duty. Col. Rathbone was removed from his office (thought since to have been restored and allowed to resign honorably), and Daniel Frost was appointed colonel of regiment, who was killed in action while leading his regiment at the Battle of Snickers Gap, in Virginia. He was succeeded by Van H. Burkey, captain of Company D, who remained colonel of regiment until it was mustered out at the close of the war; Col. Burkey is now a very large oil dealer and resides at Parkersburg, West Virginia. James L. Simpson, captain of Company C, became major of the regiment and served in that capacity until his time expired; he now resides at Parkersburg; also engaged as a merchant tailor. Capt. William T. Pell, of Company F, early resigned his office, and First Lieutenant T. B. Stoddard succeeded him; Capt. Stod- dard remained with the company until the close of the war, though receiving many wounds in battle. At the close of the war he returned to Wirt county, and in the year 1866, the people elected him sheriff thereof for the term of four years. At the close of his term he moved with his family to near Alda Hall county, Nebraska, where, in the year 1874, he paid the last great debt and passed from the shores of time to immortality. His two sons, George and Clarence, are now living in Nebraska, his widow having recently died. As before stated this regiment was organ- ized in the Little Kanawha valley, and Companies B, E and F were mostly from Wirt county, which also furnished a great many men to Companies D and H. This regiment did good service in the field and was an honor to the State never flinching or swerving from duty, but ever ready and willing to do the work assigned it, whether light or heavy, and, when necessary, was foremost in the fray.