[The publishers of this history are indebted to F. T. Lockhart, Esq., Clerk of Wirt County Court, for the war record contained herein.] Under an act of the legislature of West Virginia, the governor was empowered to organize companies of twenty-five men in certain counties of the State for the protection of the people, and to assist the officers of the law in the enforcement of the same. Some time in July, 1863, Governor Bowman issued to Geo. W. Vaught a commission as captain of such a company for the county of Wirt, and authorized him to enlist the necessary number of persons, twenty-five. The company was speedily organized, and being formally mustered into service, were at once armed, uniformed and equipped. The company, being in the State service, was not required to go outside of the county. The arms were furnished by the State, and the other equipments, including uniforms and the rations, were furnished by the United States upon the requisition of the quartermaster general of West Virginia, the States having arranged with the government so to do, and after the war ended the government reimbursed West Virginia for all she had thus paid out for defending her citizens. The pay of the captains of these companies was $50 per month, and the enlisted men received the same wages as volunteers in the United States army, and the same uniform and the same rations. The term of enlistment was for one year. The company here referred to was organized at Wirt Court House West Virginia, and its headquarters remained there until some time in May, 1864, when it moved to Burning Springs in the county, and remained there something like two or three months, when it returned to Wirt Court House. Some time in February, 1864, Capt. Vaught, to use his own language, "throwed up his resignation," which was of course accepted, and H. S. Burns was appointed his successor. Capt. Burns served out the remainder of the year, and then the company was disbanded. Not long afterwards it was reorganized, with Wm. F. Pell as captain. The company remained at Wirt Court House, eating and sleeping and resting contentedly until the early spring of 1865, when a squad of rebs surprised them one dark and stormy night, and captured nearly all of them. The rebs gave the boys a pretty bad scare, but did not hurt any of them. Of course this little episode finally wound up the career of useful- ness of this little company, and it never mustered again.