The first newspaper published in Wirt county was The Elizabeth Gazette, the first number of which made its appearance on the evening of the 13th day of March, 1867. The publishers were William McCoy and John McWilliams. It was a four-page, six column paper and was "independent in all things, neutral in nothing." Some time in the year of 1868 O.G. Scofield purchased the half interest of McCoy, and he and McWilliams continued in its publication as an independent journal until 1869; it was removed to Parkersburg and consolidated with The Times of that city, after which it was continued under the name of The Times and Elizabeth Gazette. It was there published by E.T. Drahosh, McWilliams & Scofield for about one year, when it suspended, and thus perished the first newspaper of Wirt county. The second paper which made its appearance was The Wirt County Democrat, which came out in 1868, with James E. Wharton -- then the oldest newspaper man in West Virginia -- as its editor and proprietor. He continued its publication until December, 1869, when he sold it to Samuel D. Gordon and O.L. Williams, the present circuit clerk of Wirt county. At the end of six months Williams retired, but Gordon continued it until 1870, when it was purchased by C.T. Caldwell, now an attorney of the Wood county bar and R.H. Phelps, at the present time practicing law at La Grange, Texas. They were succeeded early in 1871 by Mark M. Rockhold and W.H.H. Pearson, soon after which it suspended, but in May, 1873, the office was purchased by John McWilliams -- formerly interested in the Elizabeth Gazette. He revived the paper under the name of the Wirt County Mentor, as an independent journal. It continued to make its weekly visits to its patrons until 1875, when Mr. McWilliams sold it to A.L. Hammond, who was assisted editorially by the Rev. Milton Wells, who soon after purchased the office and became proprietor as well as publisher. Under his management it continued for a time, and then he associated with him his son, Clifford M. Wells. In 1879 the senior partner retired, leaving his son as his successor, who continued the paper until 1883, when he sold it to M.M. Rockhold and F.T. Lockhart, and he went to Evansville, Wisconsin, where he is now one of the proprietors of The Evansville Review of that city. Messrs. Rockhold & Lock- hart changed the name of the paper to the West Virginia Transcript, which made its first appearance on the 19 day of January, 1883. Mr. Lockhart withdrew on the 9th of March ensuing, Mr. Rockhold then becoming sole proprietor, and as such he continues at the present time. The third and last paper that made its appearance in the county was The Wirt County Appeal. In February, 1877, M. M. Rock- hold began the publication of a paper at Spencer, in Roane county, which he called The Roane County Appeal. It was the first paper that ever appeared in that county. He continued its publication at that place until January, 1879, when he removed the press and office material to Elizabeth, where he issued it as The Wirt County Appeal, the initial number appearing February 19, 1879. Soon after he associated with himself V. B. Archer, but only for a short time, Mr. Archer withdrawing after about six months. Mr. Rockhold sold the paper January l2, 1881, to C. M. Wells, of the Mentor, who consolidated it with that paper under the name of the Mentor Appeal, and thus the Appeal ceased to be. Such is the history of journalism in Wirt county.