Hardesty's History of Wirt County

DIVISION OF WIRT COUNTY INTO DISTRICTS

It was on the 31st day of July, 1863, that a bill, entitled an 
act to provide for the division into townships of the various coun-
ties of this State, was passed by the legislature, and became a
law on the day of its passage. That act also provided for the 
appointment of a committee composed of several prominent men
in each county which should perform the work in their respective
counties. Under that provision those named for Wirt were
Lewis Woodyard, Charles W. Fisher, Abijah Hawley, and
John P. Hall. Early in the autumn of the same year these gen-
tlemen secured the services of William Beard, a practical sur- 
veyor of Wood county, and proceeded to perform the work, the
result of which was the division of the county into seven districts
(called townships under the old constitution), as follows: Burning
Springs, Clay, Elizabeth, Newark, Reedy, Spring Creek and
Tucker.

previous page     next page


Return to Hardesty's Table of Contents
Return to Wirt County, WV Home Page

This page was last updated
You are our visitor.
Copyright © 1999 by WVGenWeb. All rights reserved.