Burning Springs district is bounded on the north by Clay dis- trict and Ritchie county, east by Calhoun county, south by Spring Creek district, and west by Reedy and Elizabeth districts. The soil is a mixture of clay and sand, with occasional deposits of what is locally known as limestone soil. Limestone exists in considerable quantities, some two or three kilns having been burned upon the waters of Chestnut run. It is used for building purposes, and also as a fertilizer. A vein of bituminous coal, about eighteen inches in thickness, underlies the district. Sev- eral efforts to develop it have been made near the town of Burning Springs, but with little success. More anon of the oil deposits. The Little Kanawha river flows in a northwest direction through the central part of the district and receives the streams watering the northern and southern parts on either side. Stand- ing Stone creek rises in the northeast part of the district, and flows northwest through Clay and Newark, and discharges its waters into the Little Kanawha. Straight creek flows nearly north and empties into the Kanawha. It is about seven miles long. Burning Spring run flows southwest through the town of Burning Springs, and flows into the Kanawha. Chestnut run has its course in a southwest direction and also flows into the Kanawha. Sandy Henderson, Jockey Henderson, and Reuben Dye, were the first actual settlers in this district, but the writer has been unable to ascertain the date of their settlement. Jockey Hender- son built the first cabin; it stood near the present town of Burning Springs, on the farm upon which Harrison now (1883) resides. George Owens, Willis Owens and William Prigmore were the next pioneers who sought and found homes in this then illimitable wilderness. They all came prior to the year 1810, for in that year William and John Petty located and found at that time all of the foregoing named persons then settled in their cabin homes. The first grist mill was erected by William and John Petty at Burning Springs in the year 1833. The building was a frame, constructed of hewn timber; the machinery was propelled by water. It is claimed by some that Reuben Dye and Alexander Henderson built a small mill, known as the "corn cracker," before the erection of the mill by the Pettys but the investiga- tion of the writer leads him to the conclusion that it was not built until two or three years after. Long before either, how- ever, there were hand mills belonging to several families. The first saw mill was also built by the Pettys ; it was the old "sash saw" pattern, and was attached to the grist mill. The first school was taught by John Morehead in a small log cabin which stood on the farm now owned by Luther Owens, in the year 1820. The same year the first building designed for school purposes was erected. It was built on the plan of all the early frontier school houses, about eighteen by twenty feet square, a puncheon floor; a huge fire-place, eight or ten feet in length, occupied one end, while the other was taken up with a window made by chopping out a log, and then employing greased paper instead of glass. The seats were made by splitting small logs in halves and then inserting pins for legs in the oval sides. This primeval "temple of learning" stood about three miles northwest of the present town of Burning Springs. There are now five good frame school buildings, exclusive of the inde- pendent district of Burning Springs, in which competent teachers are employed, and paid by a tax levied upon $111,000 worth of real and personal property. The first sermon was preached by a man of the name of John Drake in the year 1813, on the farm now owned by V. D. Rey- nolds, but no organization was effected until the year 1833, when a Methodist congregation was collected at what has since been known as the Rector church, near the town of Burning Springs. The second church organized was the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, in the year 1858; it is now known as the Burning Springs Baptist Church. There are at present three churches in the district, viz: The Baptist at Burning Springs; they have a frame building with a seating capacity of 300, and a membership of 60. The pastor is the Rev. M.B. Edmondson. The Burning Springs Methodist Episcopal Church is a frame building in which 300 can be seated; the membership is 30. G. W. Grimes is the present pastor. The Protestant Methodist have an organization at the Ruble church -a hewed log building 18x24; membership 20. Rev. Price is pastor. The first Sabbath-school was organized by Alexander Beaty and Samuel Thornton, at the Beaty Church, in the year 1859. There are three in the district at present: The school in connec- tion with the Baptist church at Burning Springs, of which A. D. Cain is superintendent, and in which John R. Owens, J. T. Cain, Nancy McCune and M. V. Howard are teachers. The Methodist Episcopal school at Burning Springs: I. K. Fortney is the present superintendent, and J. R. Pell, A. T. Gay, Mrs. I. K. Fortney, Mrs. Rittenhouse and Miss Wetzel are the teachers. Of the Union school at Cedar Hill, John McFee is superintendent, and Mason Owens and Sarah McFee are teachers.