Has a history which reads like romance. Its recital calls to mind the early days of San Francisco, the metropolis of Califor- nia. Here was the Eldorado of 1860 and 1861. In the former year the news of the discovery of the greatest petroleum pro- ducing [illigible] then known on the globe, went out to the world from this place. In August there were not a dozen souls in this vicinity, and six months later, the morning that Fort Sumter was fired upon there were six thousand persons. It was a swarming mass of humanity, representing almost every nation on earth. Fortunes were made and lost in a day. Capitalists and adventurers from every part of the continent rushed to this place, as did many thousand others to California eleven years before; United States senators, members of congress - among whom was James A. Garfield - governors of states, and many others high in official position, came in pursuit of what proved to be but another "South Sea bubble." A town arose, as if by magic, and in the spring of 1861 the Chicago hotel, every part of which was rendered brilliant by mains filled with native gas, had arisen upon what was six months before a thicket of underbrush. A single well furnished a sufficient quantity of gas to illuminate the cities of America. It was used for light, for generating steam, for fuel, in fact, for every purpose. But at last it failed. It was on a dark, stormy night, in the winter of 1867, that every light and every fire in the town was as suddenly extinguished as if a blast of wind had blown it out. The supply in the great natural reservoir had become exhausted, and hundreds of families suffered from the intense cold before a supply of fuel could be obtained from another source. Millions of barrels of oil were pumped and shipped from this place between the years 1860 and 1870. It was on the 9th day of May, 1863, that a detachment of Confederate troops, under command of General Jones, visited the place, and kindled perhaps the largest fire ever started in West Virginia. One hundred thousand barrels of oil were simul- taneously ignited, and the light that night was plainly visible at Parkersburg - distant forty-two miles. The population in 1880 was 1,332.