Is the most northern in the county. It is bounded northeast and east by Ritchie county, south by Burning Springs district, west by Newark district, and northwest by Wood county. The surface for the most part is hilly and broken, but along Hughs river are some good bottom lands. This river runs west through the district, dividing it into two nearly equal parts. Goose creek, having its source in the highlands in the northern part of Ritchie county, flows nearly south and empties into Hughs river near the centre of this district. Standing Stone creek rises in the eastern part of Burning Springs district, and flows in a westerly direction along the southern boundary of Clay. The first settler in this district was a man of the name of Graham, who located upon the waters of Standing Stone about the year 1800, and two years after his settlement his two brothers located on the dividing ridge between Standing Stone and Deevers Creek. Soon after, Elijah Rockhold and William Boheer found homes in the valley of the Standing Stone. Boheer lived for several years in a cave. A Mr. Shaw came from Ohio and settled here in 1812, at which time he found, in addition to those already named, Adam Deem, Peter Steed and Isaac Enochs, the latter of whom died in 1858, aged seventy-seven years. In 1830, Thomson Cohen, whose grandfather came from England with William Penn, settled on Parish Fork creek. Old settlers, yet living, say that the first grist mill was built by Peter Steed about 1825, but the writer could learn nothing of it, save that it had once existed, but the first mill of any note was erected by Robert Malcolm in the year 1834. It was a water mill, and our informant says "it made excellent meal too." It stood at the junction of Goose creek with Hughs river. About 1836 they attached sawing apparatus to it, and they thus were not only the first to erect a grist mill, but also the first to cut lumber in this district, and most probably on the banks of Hughs river. The first school was taught by Johnson Timms in a cabin at Deems bend about the year 1830. There are now six public school buildings in the district - all frame - erected at a cost of from $500 to $1,000. The first postoffice was established at Freeport, at the mouth of Goose creek, about 1842. The first sermon was preached in 1822, at the house of Adam Deems, by no less a distinguished personage than Lorenzo Dow. He frequently preached here , and it is claimed organized the first church. Whether this be true the writer has been unable to learn for the reason that the records of this early body of Christians - probably the first organized in the Hughs river valley - are lost. Among the first members were John Deems, Daniel D. Tarvey, Isaac Dunn, and Jacob Deem. It was a Methodist congregation. The second church organized was the Baptist, and the third the United Brethren. Freeport is the only village in the district. It is situated on the north bank of Hughs river, at the mouth of Goose creek. In this district are situated the Vernon Sulphur Springs, much resorted to because of the medicinal properties of their waters. A hotel has been erected for the accommodation of tourists. William Vernon and others are the present proprietors. The population of Clay district in 1880 was 795.