This district is bounded east by Clay, south by Elizabeth, west by Tucker, and north and northwest by Wood county. The Little Kanawha river flows centrally through the district. Standing Stone creek enters from the east and discharges its waters into the Kanawha a short distance above the town of Newark. The first cabin was built by Hyatt Leisure on the right bank of the Little Kanawha river, just below the present site of the town of Newark, in the year 1803. Thomas Prebble, Isaac Enoch, Jacob Deem, Richard Lee, and William Dent came and found homes the same year. The first white child born within the limits of the district was Rusia Leisure, a daughter of Hyatt and Mary Leisure. The first matrimonial alliance was formed between John Foster and Annie Prebble. The first grist mill was started about 1804 by Isaac Enoch. It was constructed of logs and, and propelled by water power. He several years later erected a saw mill in connection with it. The first school was taught by a man of the name of Johnson Timms, at Silver run, in the year 1811. He taught what was then known as a "subscription" school, by which is meant that the teacher bound himself to give instruction in "reading, writing, spelling and arithmetic as far as the single rule of three," in consideration of which he received a stated sum per scholar, and in addition was "boarded 'round among the scholars." He was but the representative of that peculiar class of men known as the pioneer "schoolmasters," which even the pen of an Egleson has descended to burlesque. They were the men who in that early day decided almost every question - legal, theological and other- wise, and usually from their decision there was no appeal. These were the men -- though we may be unable to realize the fact at the present time -- that laid the foundation of our splendid educational institutions, now the chief cornerstone of our civiliza- tion. There are now six good frame school buildings in the district, all of which are properly furnished, and in which competent teach- ers are employed from four to six months in the year. The first church was organized by a minister of the M. E. Church, of the name of Reece Wolfe. Among the first members were Hyatt Leisure, William Beauchamp and Richard Lee. There are but two small villages in the distiict, viz.: Newark aand Greenville, the former situated on the right bank of the Little Kanawha, four miles above the mouth of Hughs river. It contains two stores, a hotel, and about a dozen dwellings. Greenville is on the right bank of Hughs river, two miles from its junction with the Kanawha. It contains one store, a school building, and a half dozen dwellings.