Is bounded north by Newark, east by Burning Springs, south by Reedy, and west by Tucker. The Little Kanawha river flows through it in a northwestern direction, dividing it into two unequal parts. Reedy creek flows north, then east, and empties into the Kanawha a short distance above
The history of which is the history of the district. This town is the county seat of Wirt county. It is situated on the left bank of the Little Kanawha, distant by river from Parkersburg thirty- one miles, but only twenty-one by land. It is in north latitude 39deg., 4min., and west longitude, from Washington, 3deg., 26min.; from Greenwich, 79deg., 26min.; its mean elevation above sea level is 659 feet. The location is one of the most beau- tiful occupied by a county-seat in the State. As elsewhere stated William Beauchamp was the first settler at this place, and was most probably the first in the Little Kan- awha valley; he came in 1796 and built his cabin the same year. David Beauchamp and Charles Rockhold came in the year 1799; all three were actual settlers. The next year (1800) Ezikel McFarland came on and erected his cabin near the site of the present town. The Beauchamps built a grist mill in 1803, and from that time until 1817 the place was known upon the map of Virginia as Beauchamps Mills; but in the latter year the name was changed to Elizabeth in honor of the wife of David Beau- champ, her maiden name having been Elizabeth Woodyard. A man of the name of James Davis built the second house on the site where the town now stands; it stood upon the lot now owned by John Foster. "In 1817," says our informant who came in that year, "there were but six log cabins in the place." The first merchant was a Mr. Shacklett who opened a stock of goods in 1818, but he was succeeded in 1820 by a man of the name of Hiram Buell, who thus became the second merchant. The first two-story house in the place was erected in 1816, but did not receive the roof until 1817. The first hewed log house was erected in 1817 by George Rockenbaugh; the logs were all pine; it stood upon the lot now owned by Dr. B. H. Hall. The first election was held in 1817; the place was then a precinct of Wood county. Mr. Rockenbaugh was the first blacksmith; he began work the same year that he built his house. The first school in the town was taught by a Mr. Marsh in 1820; he opened the first hotel in the place in the same year. He was succeeded in the school by John Boils, who in turn was succeeded, in 1822, by James Heaton. Samuel Foley opened a hotel in 1829, and Samuel Coe opened another in 1830. Dr. Riggs was the first physician. Just when he located the writer is unable to say, but it is known that he was here in 1817. Dr. Jett was the second; he came in 1831. Dr. James A. Williamson was the third; he located in 1836. Then came Dr. John Truman, the fourth, in 1842. The first sermon was preached in 1800 by the Rev. Lastley Mathews of the Baltimore M. E. Conference, but no organization was perfected until 1809, when a society consisting of the follow- ing named members was instituted: James Davis, Dorcas Davis, David Beauchamp, Elizabeth Beauchamp, William Dyer, Eliza- beth Dyer, Sylvester Barnes and wife, Robert Barnes, Jane Barnes, Mary Barnes and Charles Riggs. This was the first church organized upon the banks of the Little Kanawha river. The land upon which the town now stands belonged originally to William Beauchamp and Thomas Tavener, and what is now Court street was the line between the two estates; in 1852 this line was indicated by a "staked and ridered" fence which extended at that time from one end of what is now the street to the other.
Located at Elizabeth, was organized January 4, 1883, by O. G. Scofield, D.G.D., of Parkersburg, under a dispensation from the Grand Lodge of West Virginia. The first and present officers are W. V. Vernon , P. D.; O. C. Morris, D.; Alexander Morrow, V. D.; William Bissett, A. D.; M. H.. Shirtz, C. and T.; Dr. R. H. Thaw, guide and medical examiner; M. M. Rockhold, reporter and guide; and D. C. Casto, F. R. All of the foregoing, together with C. M. Wells, C. E. Vandevender and E. W. Hale, were charter members. Meets first and third Tuesday of each month in the court house.